Turbin Chu Heidt Attorneys at Law
Call for a Free Consultation 808-528-4000
contact us
contact Menu


Roughly a dozen states have no-fault insurance systems, Hawaii being one of them. Essentially, this means each driver will go through their own insurance provider to cover the cost of their injuries up to a certain set personal injury protection (PIP) limit, no matter who was at fault for the accident.

This means you are unable to pursue an injury claim against the other drive unless other conditions are met. First, your injuries need to surpass the limits of your PIP insurance coverage, or you have suffered significant permanent loss of a body part or function as a result of your injuries or permanent disfigurement causing you mental or emotional distress.

As with other no-fault states, in Hawaii, as a driver you are obligated to have a certain amount of liability insurance at all times. This insurance is meant to be used to compensate anyone who suffers an injury or property damage in a car accident.

Minimum amounts are:

  • $10,000 per person personal injury protection for yourself and passengers
  • $20,000 per person/$40,000 per accident personal injury protection for third parties
  • $10,000 per occurrence for property damage protection

As a supplement, you can also acquire uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UIM) on top of your own policy for added protection.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

contact us free consultations

office location

Turbin Chu Heidt Attorneys at Law
737 Bishop Street
Suite 2730
Honolulu, HI 96813

Phone: 808-379-3586
Phone: 808-528-4000
Fax: 808-599-1984
Honolulu Law Office Map