Despite massive efforts being made over the last several years and even decades to curtail dangerous driving practices that lead to tragic accidents, the frequency of car wrecks continues to be problematic across the United States, including here in Hawaii. In fact, during the first nine months of 2022, our state saw more than 42% increase in traffic-related fatalities, which was the largest increase in the country. The next closest state that saw more traffic deaths was Delaware, which saw a 23% increase.
This report comes at a time when traffic accidents nationwide dropped slightly. Much of this reduction was among motorists, as others, such as pedestrians and cyclists, saw an increase in fatality rates.
As if that’s not enough, Hawaii continues to see high rates of injurious accidents. In fact, in the early months of 2022, Maui County saw a 400% increase in accident rates over the same time period the year before. These trends seem to continue, which leaves motorists like you susceptible.
Why do serious car accidents rates continue to be a problem?
There are likely several factors that contribute to increased car accident rates in Hawaii. This may include each of the following:
- More driving: As we get further and further away from the health crisis of 2020, more people are taking to the road. This includes Hawaiians, who commute to work, but it also means increased tourism that leads to more people on the road and more miles driven. The more miles that people drive, the more likely there are to be accidents.
- Distracted driving: Our beautiful landscape and tourist destinations contribute to distracted driving. But other distracted driving behaviors, such as texting and driving, continue to be endemic. Those who take their eyes off the road may run a stop sign or traffic signal, fail to stop for slowed traffic, or fail to yield. These incidences can lead to a severe accident that leaves individuals seriously injured or killed.
- Fatigue: A lot of motorists are taking to the road when they haven’t gotten enough sleep or when they’re overly fatigued. This can cause their reaction time to increase, and they may struggle to maintain their lane.
- Poor road conditions: While Hawaii has some of the best weather on the planet, its roads are less than stellar. Many of them suffer from poor lighting, and their twists and turns can make attentive driving all the more important.
- Intoxication: Since Hawaii is a major tourist destination, far too many people who take to the road are under the influence of drugs or alcohol. This can render them unable to operate their vehicle in a safe fashion, which puts people like you at risk.
What should you do if you’ve been injured in one of these wrecks?
If you get hurt in one of these accidents, you need to consider what you can do to make yourself whole again. That most likely will require you to take legal action in the form of a personal injury lawsuit.
But you won’t automatically be granted compensation. Instead, you’ll have to present evidence to support your claim. The thought of that might leave you feeling overwhelmed, but you shouldn’t be scared. Instead, you should think about seeking out help from an attorney who is experienced in this area of the law. Hopefully, you can fight for the outcome that you need to put you on the path to the recovery that you deserve.